Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Spinach Enchiladas, gluten-free dairy-free style!

I have a recipe for spinach enchiladas that I've used randomly for a year or so now.  They taste wonderful so I really wanted to see if I could make them so that Sophie could eat them.  Here's what I ended up doing:

Spinach Enchiladas

Ingredients: 
  • 1 T butter (can use non-dairy butter or oil)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (or use dried, but fresh tastes better)
  • 1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1 1/2 cups sour cream (I used vegan sour cream)
  • 10 corn tortillas
  • 1 can enchilada sauce
  • 2 cups cheese (I used regular Colby Jack on some and vegan cheddar for Sophie's)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
  2. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.  Add garlic.  Cook for a few minutes until fragrant but not brown.  Stir in spinach and cook for about 5 more minutes.  Remove from heat.  Mix in sour cream and cheese.  
  3. In a skillet over medium heat, warm tortillas one at a time until flexible, about 15 seconds.  Spoon about 1/4 cup of spinach mixture on the center of each tortilla.  Roll up, and place seam side down in a 9x13 inch baking dish.  Pour enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. 
  4. Bake for 15-20 minutes in preheated oven until sauce is bubbling and cheese is lightly browned at the edges.  

The confusing part may be the way I did the cheese.  I put Sophie's in their own dish to cook, with ours in its own as well.  In step #2, I waited to add the cheese.  I scooped the spinach and sour cream mixture into tortillas (3 for her), then sprinkled a little cheese directly into the tortilla.  I then closed them up and placed them in the dish to bake.  After I finished her's, I added about 1.5 cups of cheese to the spinach and sour cream to fill our tortillas.  Once all the tortillas were prepared, I poured a little sauce on Sophie's, then the rest of the can on ours.  You probably don't need to do this, but just thought I'd add what I did with that on here.  :)

I served this with spanish rice and refried beans.   I was afraid that using only sour cream instead of sour cream and ricotta cheese as the original recipe calls for would make them too liquidy.  That was not the case.  They were still fantastic!  Brandon and I loved them, and Sophie did too!  She ate the whole enchilada, plus beans and rice, then another the next day.  It was definitely a hit.

In case you're wondering, the original recipe is basically the same.  The difference is that instead of 1 1/2 cups of sour cream, use only 1/2 cup.  Add in 1 cup of ricotta cheese.  The rest is the same.  Either way, it's delicious!

No comments: